SAN PASQUAL BAND OF MISSION INDIANS
Valley View Casino & Hotel has been a vision of the San Pasqual Band of Mission
Indians for many years and the grand opening on April 18, 2001 marked a milestone
event in the tribe's history.
The San Pasqual Band is a part of Southern California's Kumeyaay Nation, a people
that originated thousands of years ago as seasonal hunters and gatherers in the
The original San Pasqual reservation was approved in 1870 by President Ulysses S.
Grant. It encompassed 92,000 acres and spanned from Ramona to Mount Woodson and
Highland Valley to Lake Wohlford. However, in 1901, many of the indigenous people
were evicted when the U.S. Supreme Court failed to uphold Indian land rights treaties
established with the Mexican government. In 1903, the government purchased land
and moved some of the Kumeyaay there, but in 1910, several reservations were expanded,
including San Pasqual's.
Today, the reservation is comprised of five separate, noncontiguous tracts in the
rolling hills of Valley Center. The San Pasqual Band is proud of its heritage and
history as well as the role its members play in the local community.